Hey friends, it’s good to be back! We had a fab holiday camping in lovely Dorset and now I’m ready to share some new recipes with you! Kicking off with this roasted tomato & basil soup. But first how was your Summer? Did you go anywhere lovely, try any new food? Even on a staycation I think you can find something new to try. I ate a lot of fish on our holiday and tried mussels with rocket and pomegranate. I’ve eaten mussels lots of different ways but these were a first for me. Cooked in a lovely garlic and white sauce with rocket and pomegranate. They were amazing. If you ever find yourself in West Bay in Dorset there is a tiny little restaurant on the old West Bay station platform called The Station Kitchen, go there! They are a tiny but quirky little restaurant with great food and if you book in advance you may be lucky enough to eat in an old train carriage. Very instagramable!
We were really lucky with the weather for our week of camping but the heavens did open on one of our days in Dorset. So we rushed into a cafe to avoid the rain. Typically here in the UK the temperature can drop about 10 degrees when it rains so I ordered a bowl of soup, well it is almost Autumn! The soup of the day was tomato and basil soup, I haven’t had tomato and basil soup in ages and I think I had forgotten how good it was! If you are a long time reader of this little blog you’ll have seen a lot of soup recipes, I love soup, I have even dedicated a whole category to soup. But somehow I have neglected the humble tomato & basil soup. To rectify that I’m sharing this roasted tomato & basil soup with you today.
Roasted tomato & basil soup is an excellent way of using up a glut of ripe tomatoes and what goes hand in hand with tomatoes? Basil of coarse. They were made for each other! Add in some sweet roasted onion and garlic with just a hint of balsamic vinegar and you have a deliciously light and flavoursome soup. Roasting the tomatoes brings out a lovely sweetness, not to mention the gorgeous smell of tomatoes that will fill your kitchen. Perfect for the end of Summer this soup is great served with some good crusty bread or try our favourite, feta toast. You can make this soup in advance and it will keep in the fridge for two or three days. You could freeze it too, it will last for about three months in the freezer.
Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
- 1 Kg ripe tomatoes, cut in half.
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic left whole with the skin on.
- 1 large sweet onion, skin on and cut into wedges of eights
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar (optional)
- A large handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 750 ml low sodium vegetable stock
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C / 390 F. I use a fan assisted, electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic on a large baking tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and gently toss everything to coat. Sprinkle over the sea salt and black pepper then roast in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes, until the tomatoes slightly char.
- Tip the tomatoes into a large saucepan. Remove the skins from the garlic and onion then add them to the pan. Add the stock and the balsamic vinegar. Then give it a good stir.
- Spoon ladles of soup into a blender then blitz, I did this in two batches. When the soup is smooth return it to a saucepan then add the basil. If it has cooled a little heat it up in the saucepan for a minute or two.
- To serve, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over the soup and serve with crusty bread or feta toast.