With just a few ingredients you can have this delicious, warmly spiced, Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup on the table in no time! It’s so easy to make, tasty, filling and vegan! Just serve with some good bread.
I think soup has been my comfort food since I was a kid. One of my favourite things as a kid was to come home from school to a steaming hot bowl of soup with a healthy side of bread and butter. It’s the one meal that has never let me down. Whatever the disaster or illness soup has always been the answer!
I’ve been making a lot of soup lately. This sweet potato and carrot soup is a new one for me. It doesn’t call for a lot of ingredients and is really easy to make, but tastes lovely. All you need are a few spices, an onion, some stock, sweet potato, and carrot. It also doesn’t need an awful lot of care, you can make even when you don’t feel like cooking. I think we’ve all had a few days like that recently.
Why This Recipe Works:
- It needs just a few simple store cupboard ingredients.
- I’ve deliberately kept the spices mild enough so the kids can enjoy it too.
- It’s warming, cosy, and filling.
- Great for taking to work in a flask.
What You’ll Need
- Sweet Potato – One big sweet potato or a couple of smaller ones is all you need. I always peel them.
- Carrots – Fresh carrots are best for this soup, you’ll need 4 or 5.
- Onion – One medium yellow onion.
- Spices – Cumin, paprika, and garam masala are the spices you will need.
- Ginger and garlic – Fresh ginger is best but if all you can find is the squeezy stuff then use that. You’ll also need 3 good-sized cloves of garlic.
- Stock – I use a vegan gluten-free vegetable bouillon, but stock cubes are absolutely fine. Use whatever you have.
How To Make Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup:
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion until soft. About 15 minutes. Add the spices, ginger and garlic and cook for a minute or two. Then add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and give everything a good stir.
- Now add the stock and simmer the soup until the carrots and the sweet potato are tender.
- Blend the soup with a handheld blender. Check the seasoning then serve.
Top Tips For Making The Best Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup.
- Using bouillon will give you the best results but if you don’t have that stock cubes will work fine.
- Carrots need longer to cook than sweet potato so don’t forget to cook them for a little longer.
- Make sure and cut the sweet potato into similar sized chunks so that they all cook at the same time.
- If you want a bit more heat in your soup, add a good pinch of dried red chilli flakes to spice it up.
- This soup really is best blended into a smooth soup, use a handheld blender or carefully spoon the soup into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- If you want to keep this soup vegan make sure your stock is vegan.
How To Serve It
We like this soup with some good bread, soda bread is great with this. I usually add some toppings to my soup, seeds are great, I like pumpkin seeds with this. Some fresh coriander is also great, as is a dollop of your favourite (vegan) plain yoghurt.
Can I freeze this soup? Yes, this soup is great for freezing. Leave it to cool then transfer to freezer-proof containers. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat on the hob.
How long will this soup last in the fridge? This soup will last for 3 or 4 days in the fridge. Just keep it in a covered container and reheat on the hob or in the microwave.
Need more tasty soup recipes? Here are some of our favourites :
Have you made this Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup Recipe? Rate it and leave me a comment below to let me know what you think!
Spiced Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger peeled then finely grated
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 600 g sweet potato (1 large sweet potato) peeled then cut into similar sized chunks
- 490 g carrots (4 large carrots) peeled then roughly chopped
- 1.2 litres of vegetable stock (about 2 pints)
- 1/4 tsp salt + more for serving
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper + more for serving
- pumpkin seeds
- fresh coriander/cilantro
- plain yoghurt (plant-based if you are vegan)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring every now and again. The onion should be translucent and springy but not brown.
- Add the spices, ginger and garlic and cook for a minute until they release their aromas. Then add the carrots to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Now add the sweet potato to the pan along with the stock, salt and black pepper, stir well then leave to simmer over a low to medium heat for about 20 minutes.Once the sweet potato and carrots are tender blitz the soup with a handheld blender until smooth. Check the seasoning then serve.
- Stock - If you want to keep this vegan make sure your stock cubes or bouillon is vegan. I use a vegan vegetable bouillon, I use 2 teaspoon plus 1 .2 litres of hot water.
- Carrots - Fresh carrots are best, and I always peel them.
- Sweet potato - I always peel the sweet potato, make sure to cut it into similar sized chunks to ensure it all cooks at the same time.
- Blender - This soup is really best blended until smooth. I use a handheld blender but you also use a stand-alone blender, just be careful when you transfer the soup, it will be piping hot.
- Consistency/Heat - We love this soup thick and smooth if you prefer a thinner soup add more stock. If you want your soup to have more of a kick add a generous pinch of dried chilli flakes when you add the spices.
- Freezing/Storing - You can easily freeze this, leave it to cool then transfer to a suitable container and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the fridge overnight then reheat on the hob or in the microwave. This soup will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Nutritional Information - Is approximate is it calculated using an online nutrition tool and is based on one serving. It does not include bread or toppings.