It’s that lovely time of the year again, soup season, sorry, Autumn. This is my favourite time of the year! The weather is still good but that chill in the air is back and it’s lovely and crisp. And I’m ready for it, for chilly walks with our pup and coming home to a big warming bowl of soup. In particular, this Mexican vegetable soup. This soup is a warmly spiced chunky vegetable soup, packed to the brim with veggies and beans, this will keep you warm and satisfied until dinner time.
Soup is hands down one of my favourite things to make, it’s easy, and it doubles as lunch or supper. A warming tasty soup that is completely satisfying is a thing of great beauty as far as I’m concerned, this Mexican vegetable soup is no exception, it is jam-packed with veggies and beans, it’s warmly spiced so the kids can enjoy it too. And by the way, my girl loved it, and she is fussy about soup!
For this soup, I used green bell pepper and a sweet orange Romano pepper, but use what you have in your fridge just make sure the veg can hold it’s own and doesn’t melt into the soup, once thickly cut the courgette will hold it’s own. Black beans are just the right size bean with all that chunky veg but red kidney beans work well too. Sweetcorn adds a little sweetness here too, I used canned but frozen or fresh is good too.
I tend to keep the heat slightly subdued for my girl, but you can easily notch it up a bit if you like. Red chilli flakes are my favourite way of adding heat to this, a good pinch will do the trick. Half a teaspoon of dried chilli will also give you a seriously good kick. This soup keeps well in the fridge and is great reheated the following day. We like to have this with good crusty bread, however, these crispy tortilla strips are great with it too. Extras that work well are some chopped avocado, crumbled feta cheese, a dollop of sour cream or some mixed seeds.
This Mexican Vegetable Soup Is:
- Under 200 calories per serving
- Accidentally Vegan
- High in fibre
- Totally satisfying
- Seriously tasty
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can. Follow these easy step for freezing your soup:
- Slightly undercook the soup, so the vegetables are al dente. They will cook when you are reheating your soup.
- Skip adding the fresh coriander and lime juice, add these when you are reheating the soup.
- Make sure your soup is completely cooled before you freeze it.
- Use freezer-proof containers or food bags and do not overfill.
- Individual portions work best, they are easier to defrost.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months
- Thaw thoroughly before reheating
Mexican Vegetable Soup
- 1 large yellow onion (220g) finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium carrot (80g) peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery chopped
- 1 red jalapeno pepper seeds and pith removed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic (or two small ones) minced
- 1/2 heaped tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 small courgette (180g) cut in half lengthways then sliced diagonally
- 1 green bell pepper (180g) pith and seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 orange sweet pepper (romano pepper) pith and seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 140 g sweetcorn kernels
- 1 x 400g black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Then add the carrot and celery and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the garlic and chilli, cook for one minute then add the spices and the dried herbs. Cook for another minute then add the chopped tomatoes. Fill one of the tins with water give it a little swirl then pour into the pan. Repeat, but fill the can to half and add to the pan. Stir well.
- Add the vegetables, beans and sweetcorn. Finally, add the salt and pepper and lime juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check the seasoning, if you need more salt or pepper, add it now.Stir in the chopped coriander and serve immediately.
- Serve with some lime wedges, coriander leaves, and some good crusty bread.
- Calories are approximate and are based on 8 servings.
- You can adapt the veggies according to your own taste or what you have in your fridge, however, peppers work really well as does thickly cut courgette.
- This is quite chunky if you prefer less eating in your soup, chop up the peppers small, but you will need to keep the courgette chunky.
- This can be kept in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, reheat it on the hob or in the microwave.
More Tasty And Satisfying Veggie Soups:
- Curried Parsnip Soup
- Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- Spicy Vegetable Soup with Red Lentils
- Spiced Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Feta Toast
- Spicy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
- Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more delicious food.