Mushroom Stir Fry with Broccoli and Pepper, ready in under 30 minutes. A healthy vegetable stir fry, that the whole family will love, even the meat-eaters!
How to Make Broccoli and Mushroom Stir Fry:
- Make the marinade, whisk together all the marinade ingredients
- Marinate the mushrooms, place the mushrooms in a large shallow dish then pour over the marinade, making sure to turn the mushrooms a few times so they are all coated in the marinade. Leave them to soak up the marinade for about 10 minutes.
- Stir fry the veggies. Heat the oil in a wok. Add the onion and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Turn up the heat then add the garlic, ginger and chilli pepper, stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Now add the pepper, broccoli and cashews and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. If the wok starts to get a little dry you may need to add a tiny bit more coconut oil here.
- Add the mushrooms and the marinade to the wok and stir-fry until the mushrooms are cooked about 4 or 5 minutes. Once the sauce is piping hot and the mushrooms are cooked add some cooked noodles and toss until the noodles are covered in the sauce. Finally, add the spring onions.
Broccoli, red pepper, a good handful of cashew nuts and noodles finish off this quick and tasty dinner, which by the way also happens to be vegan. This is a flexible dish so if you want you can add in even more veggies, I like to add bok choy or sugar snap peas, they work well here too. And if you want to make this gluten-free, then just use your favourite gluten-free noodles or swap noodles for rice and use tamari instead of the soy sauce. This meal is best served hot, straight away but if you do have leftovers then you can keep them in the fridge for a day and reheat in a wok.
What's So Great About this Mushroom Broccoli Stir Fry?
This easy mushroom and broccoli stir fry is really quick to make and super healthy. The marinade for the portobello mushrooms turns into a lovely rich and zesty sauce. Add in some extra chilli if you want it spicier, less if you're serving this to young kids. And kids love this by the way! In addition:
- It's low in fat
- Under 400 calories per portion
- Very tasty!
- Ready in under 30 minutes! Great for a quick weeknight dinner.
- It's Vegan
- Really easy to make, great if you're a beginner cook!
- Healthy, even the kids will love this and they'll never know it's healthy!
More Tasty Veggie Dinners:
- Sesame Tofu with Stir-Fried Peppers
- Broccoli Pasta Salad
- Lemon Garlic Pasta with Kale
- Vegetable Fajitas
- Halloumi Burgers
Mushroom and Broccoli Stir Fry with Peppers
For the marinade:
- 300 g portobello mushrooms wiped clean then cut into medium slices
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- The zest of half a small lime
- The juice of 1 lime about 3 tbsp
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
For the stir fry
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ a medium onion (125g) cut lengthways then sliced thinly
- 1 red chilli pepper (1 level tbsp when chopped) pith and seeds removed then finely chopped
- 2 fat cloves of garlic minced
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger (20g) peeled and finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper (180g) pith and seeds removed then sliced thinly
- 280 g (or a small head) of broccoli broken into florets
- 50 g cashew nuts
- 175 g of noodles of your choice, we like wholewheat noodles
- 3 small spring onions the white and some of the green part, finely chopped
- Sesame seeds for serving
- Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Place the mushrooms in a large shallow dish then pour over the marinade, making sure to turn the mushrooms a few times so they are all coated in the marinade.Leave the mushrooms to soak up the marinade for about 10 minutes.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- In a large wok heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Turn up the heat then add the garlic, ginger and chilli pepper, stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Now add the pepper, broccoli and cashews and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. If the wok starts to get a little dry you may need to add a tiny bit more coconut oil here.
- Now add the mushrooms and the marinade to the wok and stir-fry until the mushrooms are cooked about 4 or 5 minutes. Once the sauce is piping hot and the mushrooms are cooked add the noodles and toss until the noodles are covered in the sauce. Finally, add the spring onions.
- Serve immediately and top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and some more chopped spring onions.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is based on a serving of 4 and includes 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds.
- Heat. If you are serving this to young children you may want to reduce the chilli, this was fine for my 12-year-old but younger kids may need it to be a little less spicy.
- Freezing and Storing. I don't recommend freezing this meal. You can keep leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for a day or two. I recommend reheating it in a wok.
- Allergies. If you have a nut or sesame allergy then this will still taste great without the sesame oil and the cashews.
- Inspired by. This recipe was inspired by and roughly adapted from this recipe by Minimalist Baker.
Updates: This recipe was first posted on and has been updated on June 21st 2019 with a new step by step guide and more nutritional information.