How about this for lunch? A warm buttery Croissant Sandwich oozing with melted Brie, garlic mushrooms and a dash of cranberry sauce. This is melt in your mouth delicious!
These warm cheese croissants are my idea of heaven. Well, any mushroom sandwich is my idea of heaven. But, since I went vegetarian a couple of years ago I always felt I was missing out on the whole Christmas sandwich thing. So I made my own. This baked croissant sandwich was the result.
What could be more perfect this time of year than a warm buttery croissant sandwich! Filled with creamy brie, garlic mushrooms and, for a taste of Christmas, a little cranberry sauce. This really is decadent but so delicious!
What You'll Need
This is really easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients: Croissants, mushrooms, brie, and cranberry Sauce.
How To Make A Croissant Sandwich
This is just a visual guide. Please see the recipe card below for the full ingredient list and instructions.
- Cook the mushrooms.
- Cut the croissants in half then spread some cranberry sauce over them. Place on an oven tray.
- Place the brie on top.
- Add the garlic mushrooms on top of the brie, then place the remaining croissant halves on top. Bake.
Ingredient Notes And Substitutions
- Croissants - For best results, I use all-butter croissants. I buy them fresh from the bakery section. You can also use day-old croissants and get very good results too.
- Brie - I prefer brie for this recipe as it is mild enough to go with the garlic mushrooms. Camembert would work very well too. Not all brie is vegetarian so do check the label to make sure.
- Mushrooms - Chestnut mushrooms are my favourite mushrooms for this recipe. They have more flavour than the white button mushrooms but they will work well too.
- Cranberry Sauce - Also known as cranberry jam. Go for a good quality cranberry sauce for this one.
Tips For Making The Best Croissant Sandwich
- Choose all-butter, large croissants. The larger croissants will hold up better in the oven and all-butter croissants will give you that perfect buttery flavour and flaky pastry.
- Don't overcrowd the pan when you fry the mushrooms and don't stir them too much. This will make sure that your mushrooms remain firm and don't turn slimy.
- Mushrooms shrink when you cook them so I cut the mushrooms thickly. You'll get more of a bite from the mushrooms this way.
- Make sure and preheat the oven before you pop these in. Also, use a large oven dish or tray, you don't need to grease the oven dish.
Can I reheat these croissant sandwiches? These croissant sandwiches really are best made and served fresh. You can eat them cold, but they are best eaten warm.
Can I freeze croissant sandwiches? I don't recommend freezing these.
More Tasty Lunch Inspiration
If you're a fan of cheese then you'll love this Halloumi Sandwich it's packed with grilled veggies and smashed avocado. If you prefer a wrap then check out my Halloumi Wrap or my Falafel Wrap both are great options for a tasty lunch. And if you need something more substantial then check out my favourite pasta dish Garlic Mushroom Pasta.
Have you made this Croissant Sandwich Recipe? Rate it and leave me a comment below to let me know what you think!
Croissant Sandwich with Mushrooms and Brie
- 4 large all-butter croissants cut in half
- 250 g /½ lb of chestnut mushrooms wiped clean and sliced.
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 150 g /8oz brie
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce/jam more for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (356F) fan/200C (392F) conventional oven / gas mark 6
- Heat ½ a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.Add the half the mushrooms and cook until browned. Push those mushrooms to one side of the pan then add the remaining mushrooms and cook until brown. Toss all the mushrooms together then add ½ a tablespoon of butter to the pan.Add the thyme leaves and a minced clove of garlic. Cook for a moment then toss the mushrooms. Season with ¼ teaspoon each of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Set the mushrooms aside for now but keep them warm. I do this by popping a plate or a lid on the pan.
- Using a bread knife cut the croissants lengthwise through the side of the croissants. Slice all the way through to separate the top from the bottom.Set the tops of the croissants aside for now.Spread about ½ a tablespoon on the flat side of each croissant. Then place the croissants on a large baking tray.Place a couple of slices of brie on top of the cranberry sauce on each croissant.Then divide the mushrooms between the four croissants.Place the tops of the croissants on top of the mushrooms then pop the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.The cheese should be just melted and the croissants will be warm.Serve immediately with extra cranberry sauce if you wish.
- Croissants - I use all-butter croissants for this recipe but regular croissants will work well too.
- Brie - Not all brie is vegetarian, please check the label to make sure it is vegetarian.
- Cranberry sauce - also known as cranberry jam, the type of sauce found in a jar.
- Freezing/leftovers - I don't recommend freezing this recipe. Any leftovers can be eaten cold but you could reheat them if you wanted to. There will be a texture difference though.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is based on one croissant.
- Weights and measurements - For US readers, I use Cuisipro measuring cups and spoons, and a Pyrex measuring jug for liquids. These are the industry standard. Cup/spoon volumes can differ from brand to brand, for accuracy, I recommend weighing all ingredients if possible.