Since we switched to a vegetarian diet I have been on the lookout for new vegetarian sandwich ideas. And this one fits the bill perfectly. Quick and easy to make this portobello mushroom sandwich is great for a tasty lunch.
How to Make a Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
Roasted portobello mushrooms with a hint of balsamic vinegar are the star of this mushroom sandwich. The portobello mushrooms are meaty and melt in your mouth delicious. Served in toasted ciabatta rolls with some pesto mayo, feta and cherry tomatoes these sandwiches will go down a treat with everyone.
- Start by preheating your oven. Place the portobello mushrooms in a roasting tin. Brush both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil and then the balsamic vinegar. Depending on the size of your mushrooms they should only take 15 minutes to bake.
- To make the pesto mayo, add half a tablespoon of vegetarian pesto to a bowl with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Mix well and that's it, pesto mayo. We love this with fries by the way!
- Toast up your ciabatta rolls. Generously spread some of that pesto mayo over one side of the ciabatta roll.
- Place the baked portobello mushrooms on one piece of ciabatta. Crumble the feta over the mushrooms, add some sliced cherry tomatoes and some basil leaves and you are done. Top that filling with the rest of your bun and there you have it a tasty lunch!
More Ideas for Cooking Portobello Mushrooms:
- Grilled portobello mushrooms, if you've got the bbq going you can brush the mushrooms with the oil and vinegar then pop them on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes, turning them often.
- Fried portobello mushrooms, heat the oil in a pan, slice the mushrooms then add them to the pan. Add the vinegar towards the end of cooking. Check out this post to learn how to cook perfect mushrooms.
What to Serve with your Sandwich:
This sandwich is great on its own it's for lunch. It's also really great for dinner too. When we have these for dinner we like to serve them with these homemade french fries.
What's So Great About This Sandwich?
- It's tasty! Those mushrooms are meaty and juicy
- It's under 450 calories. That's everything, including the bread!
- Quick and easy to make, ready in 20 minutes.
- It's filling and satisfying.
More Tasty Mushroom Recipes:
Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- 2 large portobello mushrooms wiped clean
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp vegetarian green pesto
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced
- a small handful of basil leaves
- ¼ cup feta cheese (25g)
- Preheat the oven to 392F / 200CBrush both sides of the mushrooms with the oil then with the balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the mushrooms stem side up on a small baking tray.
Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Split the ciabattas in half, brush a little oil over each one then toast the inside of both pieces on a hot griddle pan. Spread the mayo over the bottom ciabatta.
- When the mushrooms are roasted, carefully pat them dry if they are very wet.Place one mushroom on each ciabatta. Crumble over the feta then add the tomatoes and a couple of basil leaves.Place the remaining ciabatta on top on then serve immediately.
- Nutritional information is approximate.
- The size of your portobello mushrooms will determine how long they take to cook.
- This is an easily scalable recipe, please see the serving size number in the recipe and slide it to the right to increase quantities.
- If you want to make this recipe vegan, sub the mayo and pesto for vegan versions and sub the feta for a vegan alternative.
- For a gluten-free version just use your favourite gluten-free bread and make sure the pesto is also gluten-free.