Tacos are the number one requested dinner in my house, which is mostly driven by my girl, however these Harissa baked cauliflower tacos are just for the grown ups as the heat level is pretty high. I love spicy food and don’t get to eat enough of it as I tend to cook a one meal fits all in the evenings. Now I know these are not authentic Mexican tacos, so look away now if you are a purist because these are fusion tacos, although I kinda feel that green Harissa has a lot in common with Mexican flavours. Like I said we love tacos and I’ve shared a few here on the blog, namely these spicy baked fish tacos and these grilled salmon tacos which are firm favourites but sometimes you just want some veggie tacos.
So you may have noticed that cauliflower is a bit cheaper here in the UK at the moment, the reason for this being that a warm start to the year has meant a bumper cauliflower season with farmers producing 50% – 100% more cauliflower. Great for all you cauli-rice fans right? I’m not really a fan of caul-irice or cauli-couscous, I like my cauliflower either covered in cheese, in a good curry, sometimes made into fritters but especially roasted. I think there are so many other good ways to use cauliflower than whip it up into crumbs, anyway I like experimenting with roast cauliflower, that’s how I came up with these Harissa baked cauliflower tacos. I roasted some cauliflower with green Harissa and coconut oil for a salad bowl the other day and loved the nutty, spicy flavour so much, all I could think of is that this would be so good in a taco! See, always thinking of food!!
These cauliflower tacos are fiery hot so not for the faint hearted, you could reduce the heat by using less Harissa, the cauliflower will still pack a bit of a punch though, also maybe leave out the jalapeño slices too if you are not a fan of heat. But if you are more hard core then I recommend going the whole hog, pile on those jalapeños! I used a store bought green Harissa paste to keep the time down to under 30 minutes but if you have more time and fancy making your own green Harissa then here is a recipe for making your own. These Harissa baked cauliflower tacos are really easy to make and come together really quickly, I serve them with some crunchy, tangy red cabbage, see below, and they are best served with all the toppings mentioned below. If you don’t fancy tacos I can also recommend the Harissa baked cauliflower used in a salad bowl with soft boiled eggs, more seasonal veggies and a lemon tahini dressing.
Harissa Baked Cauliflower Tacos
- FOR THE CAULIFLOWER
- 1 small cauliflower (260g) leaves and stalk removed, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 heaped tbs green Harissa
- A small pinch of sea salt
- FOR THE TANGY CABBAGE
- 150 g red cabbage , thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- FOR ASSEMBLY
- Small flour tortillas
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 1 jalapeno sliced (optional)
- Sliced spring onion
- Coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Watercress (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C, I use a fan assisted, electric oven please adjust according to your own oven.
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl with the Harissa, salt and coconut oil, mix well, then place on a baking tray and bake on the middle shelf for 10 - 15 minutes. Turn half way through cooking.
- Add the red cabbage to a bowl with the lemon juice and salt and mix well, leave to sit in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Heat the tortillas on a dry skillet and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- Assemble your tacos by adding the red cabbage and avocado to a tortilla, top with the cauliflower, coriander leaves, watercress, jalapeño slices and finish with a good squeeze of lime juice and a dollop of sour cream.
This time last year on The Last Food Blog – Roasted Radish, Potato & Egg Salad