Some days you want a nice crisp salad and then some days you just want something warm, but you want to stay with the salad vibe. So this isn’t really a salad but hang on, it does have a salad dressing so does this make it a salad? Or maybe it’s a warm salad? I’m not sure, please send your answers on a postcard (or maybe leave a comment?)
Anyway the weather is misbehaving and one minute it’s all blue skies and then all of a sudden it’s cold and the heavens open! Ah the great British weather, ha, I can’t complain, it’s very similar to the great Irish weather. So because of this I want something to warm me up a little and this dish did just that, the spices on the roast butternut squash give you a warm gentle hug and then the chilli at the end gives you a little kick.
Time: 20 mins
200g Butternut Squash, cut into cubes
100g Kale, washed and shredded
50g Feta Cheese
1/2 tsp each Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander & Smoked Paprika
2 tbs Coconut oil (or olive oil if you prefer)
2 tbs Pine nuts
Dried chili flakes (optional)
3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbs Lemon Juice
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Clove of Garlic, minced
Sea Salt (a small pinch)
Black Pepper (half a twist of your pepper mill)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C
- Add the butternut squash, spices and oil to a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cook the quinoa and Kale*
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a pan over a medium heat.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together.
- When the Kale and quinoa are cooked add the roasted butternut squash, toasted pine nuts and mix gently.
- Crumble the feta over the kale and quinoa mixture, add some dressing. Sprinkle with chilli flakes if you like.
Note* This is how I cook quinoa and kale.