Smashed Avocado on Toast with Crispy Fried Eggs, the ultimate veggie breakfast! Ready in under 15 minutes, this is perfect for a lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
Smashed avocado on toast was one of the very first recipes I posted on this blog way back in 2015. I'm resharing it today with new, read better, photos and tips for making the best avocado on toast. Simple avocado toast is one of my favourite quick breakfasts but sometimes you want it to be a bit more, especially at the weekend. Avocado on toast with egg and tomatoes is a whole other meal! It's perfect for a satisfying but lazy weekend breakfast or brunch.
Ingredients for Smashed Avocado on Toast:
- Bread, I like sourdough or rye bread they can hold the weight of all those toppings. If you use rye then you can toast that in a toaster if you want. If you use sourdough make sure and cut it nice and thick, your avocado needs a good strong base!
- Avocados, you can use whichever type of avocado you like, I prefer Hass as they are on the smaller side and its skin is easier to manage. Your avocados just need to be ripe, check out this useful guide on how to tell if an avocado is ripe.
- Tomatoes, I prefer ripe cherry tomatoes. They're nice and juicy and don't overwhelm the avocado.
- Coriander/Cilantro, you don't need a huge amount, just a few leaves. If you don't like coriander then try a little basil.
- Eggs, whether you like them poached or fried it's up to you and how much time you have. I like a runny, crispy fried egg on mine.
- Chilli, I like a little heat with my avocado on toast, how much you use depends on how much heat you want. A pinch is enough for me.
How to Make the Best Smashed Avocado on Toast:
- Toast the bread properly, I like to use good sourdough bread for my toast. And sourdough is best charred up a bit. So heat up a griddle pan, brush some oil over 2 slices of bread then toast it on the griddle until it's golden brown and charred around the edges.
- Prep the avocado, remove the peel, cut the avocados in half and remove the stone.
- Smash the avocado, add the salt and pepper to the avocados then use a fork to mash the avocados. Don't overdo it, you don't want a smooth mash you want some texture in there, so leave some small chunks. Tip: if you smash your avocado in advance, pour a little lemon juice over it, pop the avocado stone in the middle of the smashed avocado and cover with cling film. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. This will stop your avocado from going brown!
- Spread the avocado over the toast then squeeze some lime juice over it.
- Add tomatoes, I use cherry tomatoes they're juicy and don't overtake the flavour of the avocado like larger tomatoes. Add some torn coriander/cilantro to the tomatoes then top with a crispy fried egg. Finish it off with a pinch of red chilli flakes and a generous amount of cracked black pepper and some sea salt.
More Tasty Brunch Recipes:
- Loaded Veggie Breakfast Skillet
- Asparagus and Feta Baked Frittata
- Garlic Mushroom Bruschetta
- Sweet Potato Rosti
Smashed Avocado on Toast
- 2 slices of sourdough bread thickly cut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for frying the eggs
- 2 ripe avocados skin and stone removed
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes sliced
- 2 or 3 sprigs of cilantro/ coriander just the leaves
- 1 lime
- 2 large free range eggs
- ½ teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes optional
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt plus more for serving
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper plus more for serving
- Heat a skillet until it's nice and hot. Brush each side of the bread with olive oil.Toast both sides of the sliced bread until they are golden brown and the edges are charred slightly.
- Remove the skin from the avocados remove the seed then cut them in half. Drop then into a bowl with ¼ teaspoon each of sea salt and cracked black pepper. Using a fork mash the avocados until they are roughly mashed with some chunks. Don't over mash it.
- Heat some oil, I use olive oil, in a frying pan. Break two eggs into the pan and cook to your liking. I like my eggs for this sunny side up and runny, so they don't take long to cook. Carefully spoon some of the hot oil over the whites of the eggs until they are white.
- Spread the avocado over the toast, squeeze some lime juice over the avocado.Add the cherry tomatoes on top of the avocado then add the cilantro/coriander.Place the fried eggs on top of the tomatoes and avocado the sprinkle over the chilli flakes and finish it off with a small pinch of sea and cracked black pepper.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online nutrition tool. It is based on a serving of one.
- Bread, sourdough or rye is best for this they are sturdy enough to hoe the weight of the toppings.
- Avocado, I use Hass avocados, they need to ripe.
- Tomatoes, ripe cherry tomatoes are best for this recipe, they are perfectly juicy but don't overtake the avocado.
- Cilantro/coriander, this is essential but if you really don't like coriander then basil works well too.
- Chilli, this is optional. The amount you use really depends on how hot you want it to be. Personally, for this, I think a pinch is enough.
- Make it lighter, use one avocado between 2 people and poach your eggs instead of frying.
- Storing and Freezing, you can make the smashed avocado slightly in advance, not more than a couple of hours though. To stop the avocado going brown pour a little lemon juice over it, pop the avocado stone in the middle of the smashed avocado and cover with cling film. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to use it. This dish is best served immediately and is not suitable for freezing.