Spicy Bloody Mary, the classic brunch cocktail gets a spicy update. Perfect for adding a kick to your weekend brunch.
What’s your favourite brunch drink? Mine used to be a nice mimosa, not that I’m always brunching it up mind. We tend to have a celebration brunch for birthdays, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day. I can make a nice mimosa and I make a lethal margarita so I was pleased to learn a new one last year. Making Bloody Marys is actually quite fun, you can really play around with the flavours and the garnishes are fun too. I have made quite a few this week, for testing purposes obviously, and this one is my favourite. It’s spicy, in fact, it packs quite the punch! It’s the perfect cocktail for any brunch I think.
How to Make a Spicy Bloody Mary:
- Add ice to a large jug.
- Pour in the vodka and tomato juice.
- Add the lemon juice, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Pour into high ball glasses, then add more ice.
Top with the garnishes and serve immediately.
How to Make the Salt Rim:
- Pour the celery salt, chilli flakes and sea salt onto a small plate.
- Rub the juicy side of a lemon wedge along the lip of the glasses.
- Roll the outer edge of the glass in celery salt until fully coated.
Tips for Making the Best Spicy Bloody Mary:
- Use good quality ingredients, if you can use the best tomato juice and the best vodka you can afford.
- Garnishes are essential! We love celery, olives, cornichons and caper berries. Experiment fearlessly!
- For extra spice, make the salt rim spicy too. Add dried red chilli flakes for best results.
- Keep it chilled! The colder this is the better, make sure the tomato juice is chilled and the vodka too. I keep mine in the freezer if I’m making these.
More recipes for the perfect brunch:
- Garlic Mushroom Bruschetta
- Sweet Potato Rosti
- Shakshuka with Spinach and Feta
- Sweet Potato Hash with Eggs
Spicy Bloody Mary
- 250 ml spicy tomato juice
- 2 shot of vodka
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 8 drops of tabasco sauce
- 8 drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- A pinch of cracked black pepper
- FOR THE SPICY SALT RIM
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 2 sticks of celery
- 2 small cherry tomato
- 2 cornichon
- 2 green olive
- 2 slice of streaky bacon see instructions on how to cook the bacon
- 2 caperberry
- 1 sweet red chilli pepper (optional)
- Lemon slices and lime wedges
- Add ice to a large jug then pour in the vodka and tomato juice and mix well.Pour in lemon juice, tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, the smoked paprika, red chilli flakes, celery salt and the black pepper.
- Stir well.
- Pour into two high ball glasses then add more ice.
- Top with the garnishes and serve immediately.
- To make crispy bacon garnish, heat the oven to 300 degrees C, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place the bacon on the paper and place the tray on the middle shelf. Bake for 10 minutes then turn the bacon and bake for another 5 minutes. The bacon is done when it's crispy. Remove bacon from the tray then place on kitchen paper to drain off any fat, leave to cool.
- To make the salt rim, pour the celery salt, chilli flakes and sea salt onto a small plate.Rub the juicy side of a lemon wedge along the lip of the glasses.Roll the outer edge of the glass in celery salt until fully coated.
- Nutritional Information is approximate and is calculated using an online tool.
- Make it Vegetarian, skip the bacon and use a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. You could make aubergine bacon if you want but this drink is perfect without the bacon too.
- Chill the vodka before you make this, I keep my vodka in the freezer so it's nice and cold.
*This recipe was first published on 17th June 2017. It has been updated today July 10th 2019 with new nutritional information, expert tips and a step by step guide.