Do you remember when I was complaining that the weather was a bit rubbish, well my prayers have been answered. We are in the midst of an epic heatwave here in the UK, it has been seriously hot. When the weather is this good the last thing I want to do is spend ages in the kitchen. So I have a really quick and easy recipe for you today, this Mexican Bean Salad. It’s perfect for this weather and it’s super healthy.
It has been hotter than Miami here in the UK, the roads are even melting in Cambridgeshire, it’s been crazy hot! But I’m not complaining, it’s lovely. Everyone is happy, except the kids, because bedtime and school in this weather sucks, right? Grumpiness is easily cured with the promise of ice creams though, well it is a heatwave! And so meals in this weather have to be healthy, light and quick, with limited time in the kitchen and with the oven off.
With all that in mind I have been making this Mexican bean salad. I served this with some grilled chicken but I would happily have eaten it on it’s own. In fact I did eat it on it’s own for lunch the day after I made it. This 3 bean salad is packed full of flavour, it’s light and fresh yet filling. The dressing is also light but tangy and the red wine vinegar adds a little sweetness to it. The spices aren’t too strong as I wanted my daughter to enjoy this too, she’s not at the spicy stage yet. A little heat goes a long way here.
You could make this Mexican bean salad in advance if you need to, up to a day in advance is best. Keep it in the fridge covered and keep the dressing separate until you are ready to serve. I serve this with some corn tortillas, lime wedges and jalapeño slices, because I like more heat. It would be a great salad to take to work, for a picnic or a bbq. You could also make this a completely no cooking needed meal by using canned sweet corn instead of cooking corn on the cob. This salad is naturally gluten free, packed with protein and fibre and it’s vegan.
Mexican Bean Salad
- 2 corn on the cob
- 1/2 a large red onion chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 small green jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 can black eyed beans drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed in cold water
- 2 avocados chopped
- 1 small handful coriander chopped
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Cook the corn on the cob, boil in a pan of lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Leave to cool then with a sharp knife strip off the sweet corn kernels.
- Make the dressing by adding the oil, lime juice, garlic, vinegar, seasoning and spices to a mason jar, close the jar lid tight then give it a good shake.
- Place the beans, onion, peppers, avocado, lemon juice and coriander in a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the salad then mix well.
- Serve with slices of jalapeño, lemon wedges and some corn tortillas.
Fancy more beans? Check out this Za’atar Chicken with Spinach and bean salad