It has been mega busy chez Alston this last week. With mine and my girl's birthday and then Father's day it's been hectic, to say the least. I'm really looking forward to school ending soon but we have a few weeks to go yet. And guess what, those weeks are lining up to be mega busy too! So I've been either skipping breakfasts or skipping lunches, I really don't like skipping lunch, so now I feel I need to get back on track. I need to get back to making some decent lunches for myself. So say hello to my spicy chicken wraps.
I make wraps nearly every day. My girl isn't one for limp old sandwiches for her school lunch and who can blame her! So wraps have become a regular for lunchtimes. Since I have these wraps hanging around the house I end up using them for my own lunch too. I have a few different variations of lunch wraps but this one is definitely our favourite. These spicy chicken wraps come with a minty, lemon and garlic yoghurt sauce and are packed full of veggies.
If there is one thing in life I really can't abide by, it is a boring lunch. Limp sandwiches and bland wraps are the pits. Lunch is a very important part of my day, breakfast I can take or leave, but lunch? It better be good. But don't worry friends, these wraps are exactly that! The chicken is really tasty and juicy with a nice little kick from the chilli and some tanginess from the lime zest. That marinade doesn't need a lot of time to do its magic either. Twenty minutes and it's good to go. The other star in these wraps is that minty, lemon and garlic yoghurt sauce, it's cooling and zingy and lifts that chicken right up.
These chicken wraps are perfect for taking to work, you could cook the chicken and make the yoghurt sauce the day before then assemble the wrap in the morning. Lunch done! You could also serve these with a nice green salad and some fries and you have a super tasty, filling dinner for the whole family. You may want to hold the green jalapeño for the kids though. So say so long to boring lunches and say hola to these bad boys.
Spicy Chicken Wraps
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried coriander
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 lime zest of
- 1 medium red jalapeño finely chopped
For the yogurt sauce
- ½ cup natural yoghurt
- 5 or 6 mint leaves chopped
- the zest of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the wraps
- 4 large flour wraps
- 1 medium avocado sliced
- ¼ medium cucumber sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- ½ head lettuce
- 1 medium green jalapeño thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon watercress optional
- 1 small handful coriander leaves
- ½ lime
- Mix together the oil, lime zest & juice, spices and seasoning in a bowl. Add the chicken breast and completely cover with the marinade. Leave the chicken to marinade for at least 20 minutes.Make the yogurt sauce, mix together all ingredients in a small serving bowl. Leave in the fridge until you are ready to serve.Heat a griddle pan, add the chicken to the griddle then cover with any remaining marinade. Cook for the chicken for 20 minutes, turning halfway. Make sure the chicken is cooked through then leave to cool. Slice when cool.To make the wraps, place lettuce in the middle of a wrap, add sliced chicken, avocado slices, tomato, cucumber and jalapeño. Squeeze a little lime over everything. Then pour 1 or 2 teaspoons of the yogurt sauce over the filling then top with coriander leaves and cress. Wrap it up then serve.