Hi friends, so I had very good intentions this last week of bringing you some lovely recipes, but life happened as it almost always likes to do. We had an early morning trip to a&e with our girl, with a trampoline injury, thankfully it was only a badly sprained ankle, however, she has been laid up all week and I have been chief nurse so I didn’t get much time to spend here on the blog. I did manage to get to London on Thursday evening though for a very lovely dinner with Parmesan UK, but more on that next week. For now, I have a very tasty white pizza for you today.
Before you run and gasp, white pizza?? Let me explain. We really love pizza here at chez Alston, well one of us more than the rest! Anyway, while I tire very quickly of the same old pizza recipes all the time, our girl likes to have the same pizza all the time. So in an effort to find a pizza that could change things up a bit, yet be a pizza that everyone would enjoy, I thought I’d maybe give white pizza a go. And to my surprise everyone loved it.
While white pizza isn’t new, it’s new for us, it does seem to get a bit of a bad press, it’s not exactly the healthiest thing in the world due to the amount of cheese I guess. Anyway, I’m going for balance this weeks folks, it’s been a tough week and I need more cheese! So this pizza base is light and crispy in all the right places. The cheesiness on the base is creamy and lovely and garlicky, with the mozzarella turning a lovely bubbly golden brown. Spinach is my healthy addition and those bursting cherry tomatoes are juicy and delicious – you really need these in your life. You may add more or less toppings to this pizza, it’s totally up to you, however I think less is probably more. Your pizza, your rules,
Right, I will be back in full swing next week friends, so watch out for some new recipes coming your way x
White Pizza with Spinach & Ricotta
- FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
- 300 G / 2 1/2 cups of 00 flour or pastry flour
- 1 tsp active dried yeast
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml / 1 cup of warm water , more if you need it.
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 250 g 1 cup of ricotta
- 3 fat cloves of garlic , minced
- 250 g 1 cup of mozzarella , sliced
- 2 tbs dried oregano
- 100 g / 3 cups of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 red onion , peeled cut in half and thinly sliced
- 200 g / 1 cup pf cherry tomatoes on the vine.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Polenta (cornmeal) for dusting the pizza tray
- For serving , fresh basil leaves, cracked black pepper and shavings of parmesan cheese.
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degree C/ 392 F, I use a fan assisted electric oven please adjust according to your own oven.
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Add the salt to one side of the flour then add the yeast and sugar to the other side. Make a well in the middle and pour in the warm water and olive oil. Mix with a spoon until you have a wet dough.
- Turn the dough out into a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, add a little olive oil to the bowl then place the dough in the bowl. Cover with cling film and a tea towel then leave in a warm place for the dough to rise. In warm weather this should only take about 30 minutes.
- Then turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead again for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the dough in half, using your knuckles make an edge in the dough then pull the dough out to make a good size round.
- Sprinkle an oven tray or pizza stone with polenta, place the pizza base on the tray.
- Mix the ricotta and garlic, then spread half the ricotta on the pizza base, add half the mozzarella then sprinkle 1 tbs of dried oregano over the cheese,
- Add half the onions and top with half the spinach and tomatoes drizzle 1 tbs of olive oil over the pizza and season with a little cracked black pepper.
- Place on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese is golden, the tomatoes are burst and the base is cooked.
- Repeat for the next pizza.
- Serve with basil leaves and generous shavings of parmesan cheese.
*US cup measurements are approximate, I use a metric scale and measuring jug to weigh and measure all ingredients.