Happy New Year friends! I hope you enjoyed the holidays and got to spend some quality time with your nearest and dearest. I’m back today with a lovely, easy recipe to ease me back into the swing of things, this creamy broccoli and cauliflower soup. I don’t know about you but I always feel a bit delicate the beginning of January, I almost always come down with a virus after Christmas and usually spend the beginning of January recovering. Therefore gentle food is what I need, especially after all the excess of December, and this soup is exactly that.
Now please don’t be mistaking my description of gentle food as “detox” or “clean” food, this is not the case, and that is not my bag. By gentle I mean warming, soothing, kind on my soul, food. Food that restores you, makes you warm and cosy and happy. Because January is a cold and dark month and for some of us, the lull after the festivities can mean it is also a kind of sad month. That’s why January for me is all about taking care of ourselves, making sure we feel warm and well fed, there is no room in my world for diets and detoxes.
This broccoli and cauliflower soup is all of this for me, it is a delicate soup that is also warming and satisfying. It’s easy to make, like most soups, and is perfectly delicious on its own, but I like it with a little helping of grated mature cheddar cheese and some very good crusty bread. You can make this the night before if you like and bring it to work in a flask. It’s great for lunch or as a light supper. This soup will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 days and you can also freeze it once cooled, then just leave to thaw the night before you want to reheat it.
In other news, we have almost unpacked all the boxes from our house move, we quickly got the Christmas decorations up and enjoyed our first Christmas in our new home. We have settled in nicely and I’m really getting used to the quiet that comes from living in a small village. No more constant traffic noise, you can actually hear the birds chirping away happily! We were warmly greeted by our new neighbours too which was very lovely. I knew moving back to village life was a good move 😉 x
Creamy Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large onion (280g) finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium stalk of celery chopped
- 1 medium floury white potato (200g) peeled and cut into small cubes
- 180 g broccoli florets
- 250 g cauliflower florets
- 1 litre low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- 2 small dried bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Freshly grated mature cheddar cheese
- Crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook gently over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the celery and cook for another 5 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves then blitz the soup with a hand-held blender until you have a smooth creamy soup.
- Serve with grated mature cheddar cheese if using and some good crusty bread.
- Calories are per portion and are approximate, they do not include cheese and bread.
- Crumbled toasted walnuts are a great extra topping to this soup.
- Other great toppings are chopped crispy bacon or stilton cheese.
- Want a vegan topping? Add meltable grated vegan cheese.
More Satisfying Tasty Soups for Lunch:
- Spiced Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Roast Butternut Squash and Parsnip Soup
- Spicy Vegetable Soup with Red Lentils
- Roast Butternut Squash Soup and Parsnip Soup
- Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see more delicious food.