Can we talk about smoothie bowls? I am a fan of smoothies, especially green smoothies and as much as I love all the amazing photos of smoothie bowls I’ve seen on Instagram I have been sitting on the fence. I mean they look so beautiful but they are huge! Seriously big, so much so that some of them are coming in on the high side when it comes to calories, I’m talking about over 600 calories for some that I’ve looked at. Now this is ok, but if you are watching your calorie intake then it becomes a bit of a problem, because you think you are being really healthy and you are, but you are also getting over a third and sometimes half (oh yeah!) of your daily calories in just one meal. Something to consider I think.
The other thing that had me on the fence about smoothie bowls was the thought of using a spoon to eat something I normally drink from a glass. However I am no longer on the fence, I tried them and I have to say I really like them, in fact I may just be converted! Normally when I have a smoothie for breakfast I sometimes feel like I haven’t had breakfast at all, maybe it’s because it’s in a glass, I don’t know but when I tried these green smoothie bowls I actually didn’t feel like that! The reason for this is the fruits, seeds etc added in it their full form and I am actually chewing food. Result! So these green smoothie bowls are small and come in at about 330 calories per bowl including the toppings listed. Not bad right? These are really flexible so play around with your toppings, granola is good too, just watch out for the calorie content when deciding what to add.
These green smoothie bowls are:
- High in Vitamin C
- High in Vitamin A
- High in Fiber
- Gluten Free
- No added sugar
- 150 g baby leaf spinach , washed
- 100 ml of water
- 1/2 an avocado , roughly chopped
- 1 small frozen banana
- 200 g fresh pineapple , cut into chunks
- 1 heaped tbs of peanut butter (no added sugar/salt peanut butter)
- 2 tbs mixed seeds (flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
- 1 kiwi
- 10 raspberries
- 10 blueberries
- 1/2 a banana , sliced
- Place the spinach and water in a blender, blend until liquid.
- Add the banana, pineapple, avocado and peanut butter and blitz until smooth.
- Serve immediately with toppings.
- If you feel you need it a little sweeter add a teaspoon of honey.