It’s National Vegetarian Week here in the UK so I will be sharing a couple of veggie focused recipes with you this week. Kicking off with this spinach frittata with tomato and goat’s cheese . This is a really quick meal to prepare, perfect for a tasty weeknight supper, and it’s even quicker if you have leftover potatoes. With just a few simple ingredients you can have a lovely satisfying meal on the table in under 40 minutes. Even the meat eaters in your life will love this one.
This spinach frittata is a real clear out your fridge kind of recipe. You could swap the spinach for kale or the goat’s cheese for feta and use whichever tomatoes you have handy. I used a hard goat’s cheese for this and it gave it a lovely flavour and texture, but soft goat’s cheese would work too. You can serve this spinach frittata hot or cold, it will keep for up to two days once refrigerated as soon as it is cool. I serve this with a nice green salad for a quick supper, but it is also great for picnics and packed lunches.
To celebrate National Vegetarian Week, Cambridge Edition have featured a selection of my favourite meat free recipes in this month’s edition. I’m so thrilled to see my recipes in print, all lovely and glossy, so much thanks to the lovely folk there for featuring me. If you live in Cambridge you can pick up a copy at various Cambridge stores and venues, you can also view it online here. I have quite a few vegetarian or meat free recipes on this blog, we are not vegetarian but I tend to make a lot of veggie focused meals for my family. I guess it comes from being a vegetarian years ago and I just like to cook vegetarian food. If you’d like to see more of my meat free recipe you can find them here.
Spinach, Tomato & Goat's Cheese Frittata
- 250 g / 9oz / 3/4 of a cup baby potatoes , cooked then sliced, I used Jersey Royals
- 6 x large free range eggs , beaten
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion , sliced
- 115 g / 4oz / 1/2 a cup of raw spinach
- 120 g / 4oz / 5/8 of a cup of cherry tomatoes on the vine , sliced
- 110 g / 4.4 oz / 1 cup of hard vegetarian goat's cheese , crumbled
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C / 356 F, I use an electric, fan assisted oven please adjust according to your own oven.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the onions over a low to medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, they should be golden brown and soft when cooked.
- Add the potatoes to the onions, then the spinach, cook until the spinach starts to wilt. Turn of the heat.
- Add 3/4s of the cheese, salt and pepper to the eggs and mix.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and potatoes and stir a little.
- Place the tomatoes on top then sprinkle over the remaining goat's cheese.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 15 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.
- Serve warm or cold with a green salad.