Sometimes in life it’s the simple things that are best. This is especially true of food I think. Like a really good grilled cheese sandwich or the perfectly poached egg, simple things can be amazing. The recipe I have for you today is simple, but it is one of the nicest, sweetest things I have eaten in a while. These roasted figs with honey and yogurt are one of life’s simple pleasures. I like to have these for a healthier dessert or as part of a lazy weekend brunch. This is an all natural kind of recipe that I love to make, especially when I don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
Figs are in season right now and most supermarkets have them. It’s a short season so don’t wait around. They are quite cheap to buy fresh, so even though this dessert feels quite indulgent and rich, it’s actually a cheap recipe to make. When buying your figs look out for plump figs that are a deep purple colour. They just need a little wash before you cook them and for this recipe I leave the little stalks on. I used purple Turkish figs, they have a slightly thicker skin but it’s still totally good to eat. They are also less sweet then other varieties which is perfect for this recipe.
You can serve these roasted figs with Greek yogurt or natural yogurt, it’s up to you. I tend to prefer the lighter natural yogurt for this one. The light scent of rosemary on the figs is sublime, and the little hint of lemon juice just lifts the flavour of the figs and the rosemary perfectly. I like chopped walnuts with these figs but pistachios would work lovely too. The roasted figs need to be eaten more or less straight away so it’s best not to keep any for tomorrow. This is a great little dessert that’s ready in under 25 minutes with minimum effort, so it would be great for a dinner party. Or you could also use these figs in your morning porridge for a nice autumnal weekend breakfast.
Roasted Figs with Honey & Yogurt
- 350 g fresh figs cut in half
- 1 tbs runny honey
- 1 sprig of rosemary (1 heaped tsp) finely chopped
- 1 small squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 scant tbs butter
- 25 g walnuts chopped
- 400 g natural organic plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, 356 F I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.
- Grease an oven proof dish with the butter. Place the figs cut side up in the dish. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the figs. Sprinkle the rosemary over the figs then drizzle the honey over all the figs.
- Place the dish in the top to middle shelf and bake for 15 minutes. The figs will be soft when they are done.
- Serve immediately with natural or Greek yogurt, the chopped walnuts and a good spoon of the juice from the dish.