I have something a little different for you today. Something sweet and a bit of a treat. Over the last year or so I've been trying to improve my baking. And for the last few months, my girl has been baking along with me. As you can imagine she loves baking the sweet stuff, she's also a massive cookie fan. Our girl loves those big, soft chewy cookies that you get from the bakery or places like Millie's, I'm not so keen though, I prefer baked goods to be homemade. So together we've been trying to make the perfect cookie. We have spent some time experimenting with and testing various cookie recipes. I know, it's hard work. Anyway, I think we have pretty much nailed it, finally! So, please say hello to our favourite cookie, our peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!
These peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are big and chewy, slightly crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and so tasty! They have that toasty nuttiness from the peanut butter, sweet milk chocolate and they have a little hit of saltiness. Because sweet and salty is the best! But if you're not into that just leave out the salt. These cookies are easy to make, even the kids can get stuck in making these. I let my girl make them on her own now, however she is 11 so if you have younger kids they may need a little supervision. You will need an electric whisk, a couple of baking trays and parchment paper to make these. They don't take long to bake so keep an eye on them.
Now if you've popped by today for a lovely healthy recipe, thank you for stopping by, but please head on over to my last post or the many more before that, because these cookies are far from healthy. There is sugar, butter, and calories. But hey, life is all about balance right? And homemade bakes are better than store-bought right? Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. And you know sometimes you just want to come home from school or work to a nice home-baked cookie, am I right? Just a little treat on a rainy Autumn day can brighten up that grey old day and put you in a good mood. This recipe makes 12 big cookies, and one is usually enough, so store these in an airtight container and they will keep for a couple of days.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 100 g soft, room temperature butter I use salted butter but you can use unsalted if you like
- 100 g light muscovado sugar
- 80 g caster sugar
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 large free range egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g milk chocolate chips or chunks
- 80 g peanut butter I use crunchy, no added sugar peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C / 356F. I use a fan assisted electric oven, please adjust according to your own oven.Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the sugar and butter until it is light and fluffy, this could take about 5 - 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and vanilla together, then add to the butter and sugar. Whisk again until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Sift in the flour then beat again until it is fully incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips, then using a spoon mix in the peanut butter.
- Divide into 12 balls, place on the baking trays giving each ball some space to spread.
- Bake on the middle and lower middle shelves for 10 - 12 minutes. They will be a pale colour mostly but a little golden around the edges. They will also be soft in the middle but will harden when they cool.
- Leave the cookies to cool slightly on the baking trays then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with a tiny pinch of flaky sea salt if using.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 2-3 days.
*These cookies were roughly adapted from this recipe from BBCGoodFood.
Need more treats to get you through the week? Check out these Apple & Blackberry Muffins or these Flapjacks
Mmm! These look so good! I've been baking with my little lately too. Lots of fun, but definitely harder huh?
Thank you so much Jenna x Yep definitely fun but harder with the little ones, I always have to stop myself from taking over 😉
Anything with peanut butter is my favourite. These look delicious I can't wait to make them!
Thanks Jess, I hope you enjoy them x
Okay, this post is something I'd like to call: perfection. Cannot get over how good these look- MUST try soon!
Thank you so much Karly, that is very kind of you 🙂