Quick, easy, super healthy and tasty just about sums up this dish, roast cauliflower steaks with steamed kale, Puy lentils, roast onions and juicy cherry tomatoes. Ready in under 30 minutes, with very little effort and you can have a super healthy lunch or light dinner on your table. Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable, great as a pizza base, as a low carb mash or rice and very tasty made into lovely fritters. Then we have cauliflower steaks, meaty and sweet when roasted, there are lots of different ways to spice them up but I like to keep it simple with lemon, garlic and thyme, subtle flavors that don’t overcrowd the cauliflower.
We seem to be succeeding in our mission to eat less meat so far this year, I’m buying lots more lovely vegetables and cauliflower is flavor of the month. It’s easy though, to eat less meat when you have dishes that are really easy to make, take little time and effort and taste great too. So far so good. No major complaints have been lodged 😉 If you’d like to make this a more substantial dinner you could add some couscous or brown rice. This dish serves 3, but can be easily upscaled to serve 4 or more.
This recipe is:
- High in Fiber
- High in Vitamin A
- High in Vitamin C
- Low Calorie
- Low Carb
- Gluten Free
- 400 g cauliflower , cut into 3 thickish slices
- 100 g kale , washed and shredded
- 1/2 a red onion (50g), skin on, cut into wedges
- 200 g cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 250 g puy lentils , cooked
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 3 or 4 sprigs of thyme
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C ( I use a fan assisted electric oven )
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil, garlic, lemon and leaves from the a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme. Place the cauliflower steaks on a baking tray, brush liberally on both sides with the oil and lemon mixture. Add the tomatoes and red onion wedges, give them a brush of oil too. Season with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile bring a pan of water to the boil, add the lentils and cook for 10 minutes, steam the kale at the same time.
- Serve the cauliflower steaks on a bed of kale and lentils, add the roasted tomatoes and onion wedges and serve with some lemon wedges.